Lydia’s House serves women who are pregnant and women who have young children. The average stay is 118 days, though families have stayed up to a year. Each family is provided a private bedroom and a shared bathroom. Guests are asked to contribute to chores and attend dinner 5 nights a week. Sixty days after moving into Lydia’s House, guests must be engaged in meaningful activities during the day, such as employment or schooling. Should guests have income, they pay rent/program fees based on income. If they have no income rent is $0.
Guests are typically referred to Lydia’s House by a partner agency, but may also self refer through norwoodhome.org. Rooms are typically available about once a month. When we have a room available, the process takes between 48 hours and 10 days from application to move in. If you need emergency shelter tonight, please call 381-SAFE.
If you’re able to work with our timeline please click here to learn more about our selection process (norwoodhome.org).
Here’s some information on who is a good fit for Lydia’s House:
- Lydia’s House serves women with children. Each woman must have at least one child under age 5 or be pregnant. We give preference to women aged 18-24. Due to space constraints, Lydia’s House does not serve families with more than 3 children or families with children over the age of 12.
- Lydia’s House is a good fit for a woman who is seeking to pursue education or a training program, such as completing a GED or a training program to be a home health aide, or start schooling to become a medical assistant. Women may also be seeking to obtain employment
- Women at Lydia’s House are open to living in community and view living alongside others as a supportive opportunity for their family and personal development.
- Women who have abused substances and have been in recovery for less than 6 months or who define themselves as in need of rehabilitation from substances are not invited to live at Lydia’s House.
- Lydia’s House is not a safe house. While we are able to accommodate or support women who have had trauma in their background, we cannot serve women who need an undisclosed location.